Friday, August 14, 2009

Reverse SSS

There is a common phenomena amongst knitting folk called Second Sock Syndrome, or the intense dislike of making the second sock of a pair. There are many reasons for contracting this horrid disease, the underling cause oft is unknown.

In my case though, I have not Second Sock Syndrome, I am enthralled with the second sock. In fact I so much prefer it to the first I would like to be rid of it(the first sock that is.)

This first sock has given me so much greif, and though it clames to be done, it's not. Far from, in fact. First was the problem of the foot being to short, and the heal being wrong, and having to redo that twice. Now I finally did get all the leg done, with the funky lace bit going up the side, though you can't really see it in pictures. And still, it refuses to be done. There is the problem that calves are a bit thicker around than ankles, so it's a bit snug round those parts, but it will work. Except around the cuff.

I worked a rib in an effort to prevent problems to no avail, so out that had to go. Let me tell you, it is rather bothersome to take out a sew bind-off on a 3x3 rib done on US1, but did it I did. The needles were increased to US5 thinking that would work, and it did, the cuff fit much better. Until the bind off. It was still too tight, though less so than before. Out again. This time I shall increase every other stitch i think and use the standard bind-off. Maybe than it will work.

If not, well, I don't know what to do. I don't want to cut off Miss Death's circulation, but...

The second sock though, it is coming along wonderfully. The foot is just about done, needing only an inch or so more, less I think. Moreover I'm liking the pooling of the colours much better on this one. They are rather more stripy unlike the first which is a splotchy diagonal blob. Hard to describe, I'll have to add pictures later. Point is, the second sock is very awesome.

3 comments:

  1. so... u knit? ok then. hope u enjoy that.

    sorry for having to ask but, Q, are u male or female? i can never figure it out from your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Qtap is a girly.
    Good luck on the socks...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do indeed knit, and enjoy it greatly.

    I am that I am.

    Thanks Sara.

    ReplyDelete