Friday, May 01, 2009

Knitting Keeps Me Sane

For as long as I can remember I have been fidgety. In order to concentrate in school, not that it was a conscious thing, I would play with Silly Putty. When i did not have it, I had other things, ticky-tak, gum, pencils, all manner of things that I would roll through my fingers and knead. That's always what I did, moved my fingers back and forth between my thumb.
It wasn't only in school for concentration, actually that was a minor bit. When nervous or uncomfortable, I would knead my fingers and wring my hands in full force. Neighbor could always tell where I sat at the table, even if she didn't see me, because of the holes in the plastic from when I stuck my fingers through.
Eventually the Silly Putty disappeared, much to my annoyance, and it was hard to replace. Though at this point I had started wearing my hair up. As such, I had hair ties on my wrist often so I could put it up when the need arose. The binders also proved extremely useful for my nerves, and soon I started wearing two, one for my hair, and one for my fingers. I was never with out at least one, and often people would come to me wanting to borrow it. Still happens, in fact.
Then, I learned to knit. Knitting has been the best thing for me, It literally keeps me sane. I have been calmer, both in regards to hyper activity and nerves since I started. It is also a super productive means of fidget. As well, thanks to knitting, I discovered all this about my nervousness and fidgeting.
Now, I rarely go anywhere with out my knitting. I do still wear a hair binder though, and use it, if rarely for my hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment