Monday, November 14, 2011

A lesson in gauge

Always make a gauge swatch, they told me. Don't forget to swatch. Arg. I hate swatching, with a passion. Last motzie shabbos I started a new blanket, and since it's a free form patternless blanket I figured it was the perfect excuse to not swatch, right? WRONG. I had a nice garter border going, then started off in stockinette, noting fancy. a few rows latter it starts to roll. No big deal, stockinette always rolls abit, but it'll even itself out in a few more rows. A week I told myself this, convinced it would be fine. I should know better. Once it rolls, it keeps rolling. I pulled it out yesterday, dejected and sad, but with resolve. Larger needles looser tension, wont be a problem. Wrong again. I cast on far too many stitches, and now it will be to long. Alas, annoying, but a mistake I can live with. I just hope I have enough yarn.

1 comment:

  1. I am glad to see you are bloging again.
    Here is how to tame the rolling blanket:
    1. when it is done apply a knitted I-cord, it will give it a more polished look too.
    2. when it is finished pick up all the stitches around the perimeter of the blanket and knit about 5-6 ridges of garter stitch. Do not forget to mark each corner with a stitch marker and increase every round on each side of each stitch marker.
    3. when the blanket is done knit on additional edging onto it.
    4. when the blanket is done crochet around the blanket a few rounds.
    Stockinette blankets will usually roll, just accept it as par for the course. And deal with the rolling issue let us say it together - "when the blanket is done!"
    Now if you do not mind I will post this on my blog too!

    ReplyDelete