Monday, November 14, 2011

Teaching Knitting

A while ago my neighbor asked me to teach her daughter to knit. At first it sounded like a great idea, and then yom tov happened and there was stress. Last week we had our first lesson, and once again it proved to be a great idea. We started with the knit stitch, I decided that casting on can wait until the basic concepts are well engrained in her. She is an extremely fast learner. after showing her maybe three or four stitches in slow motion she was at her on her own, and did the whole row(some 30 stitches) with only minor mistakes. This week we worked on consistency when throwing the yarn as it was a bit of an issues, and next week, I think we'll move on to purling. From there it's a simple matter of pattern reading and combo-stitches, cast-on and bind off.

I'm thinking that I might not have this student for very long, because she will have learned all I know very quickly. It's making me think that maybe I should put out an add to teach other kids. After all, I'm good at knitting, and it'd be a fun way to earn some yarn money.

No comments:

Post a Comment